The Independent Doctors of Optometry recommend a comprehensive eye exam. The standard examination procedure for a patient who wants to wear eyeglasses includes the following:
- Reviewing vision problems, general health, current medications, working environment, hobbies, etc.
- Examining eyes for signs of possible disorders, including cataracts and retinal problems
- Evaluating current prescription
- Testing eyes’ ability to see clearly at all distances
- Measuring the fluid pressure in the eye, which is an important test in detecting glaucoma
- Testing eye coordination and muscle control
- Measuring eyes’ ability to change focus